United States Virgin Island
about 2 months ago
Blade Repair Technician Level 2 & 3
Our client has one of the most highly regarded blade service teams in the nation. Take the next step up in your career! Enjoy a friendly work environment, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits. We offer continuous opportunities for personal growth and development with both our clients online learning system and their new ultramodern Training Center with dedicated Blade Lab. You'll be in great hands with their seasoned training professionals. As one of the fastest growing companies in the industry, they take pride in hiring the best talent and providing a great place to work.
Blade Repair Technicians Level 2 & 3 handle inspections, services and/or repairs on the composite components of wind turbines which include, but are not limited to: blades, nacelles and nose cones. Blade repairs are performed up-tower from a cable suspended platform. The qualified candidate will be required to work on various wind farms across the United States. This is a full-time traveling position.
- Demonstrated commitment to safety
- Perform blade repairs and inspections at heights (up to 300+ feet)
- Able to identify/investigate blade damages, up to severity level 5, and:
- Identify bottom of damage and count number/types of laminates affected
- Understands the differences between common blade glass and core materials
- Can map out a scarf using given ratios, without assistance
- Can perform mapped scarfing & smooth chamfer with 4.5 in angle grinder
- Can measure/cut layers and weigh/mix proper amount of resin
- Can apply hand-laminations to a vertical surface of up to 10 layers at a time
- Can perform vacuum consolidation process, in the field
- Understands reverse stack versus standard stack laminations
- Understands elevated temp post cure process using electric heat blankets
- Understands Shore D hardness testing
- Can mix, apply, cure and sand flush fairing fillers
- Can properly mask, mix, apply and cure topcoat paints
- Understand importance of good housekeeping and cleaning up as you go.
- Perform LEP application (both liquid and tape/boots)
- Can perform internal blade inspection and borescope inspections from exterior
- Understands how to perform a tap test
- Safely operate, shutdown, and LOTO various WTGs
- Safely rig, setup and operate blade access platform
- Can setup and safely operate a platform tagline
- Ensure quality workmanship
- Test and troubleshoot LPS from blade receptors to hub.
- Internal/External tower cleaning when needed.
- Inspect and document damage and all repair steps.
- Complete reporting and documentation with photos throughout the process.
- Can communicate with Engineering/Technical Team via phone/text, as required.
- Can drive full sized pickup trucks (3/4 ton) and can safely hook up, tow, back up and park trailers as large as 24 feet long, weighing up to 10,000 lbs.
- Can communicate with the customer at site with professionalism on daily basis.
To perform the essential functions of this position successfully, an individual should be able to demonstrate and provide the following:
- HS diploma or GED equivalent.
- Blade-specific composite repair training/certifications are preferred.
- Any OEM blade-specific certifications/experience/training is preferred.
- (Tech Level 2) Three (3) or more years of functional experience, specifically in utility-scale wind blade repair and a willingness to acquire all necessary certifications to perform training.
- (Tech Level 3) Five (5) or more years of functional experience, specifically in utility-scale wind blade repair and a willingness to acquire all necessary certifications to perform training.
- OSHA 10 (Construction), NFPA 70E, First Aid/CPR beneficial, but not required. Training will be provided.
- Extensive knowledge in Word, Excel and Outlook and the ability and willingness to learn new software applications.
- Excellent organizational skills, communications skills, the ability to multi-task, and most importantly, the ability to work well in a team.
- Demonstrated openness to change, flexibility, and adaptability.
- Strong analytical thinker with the ability to resolve complex issues.
- Self-starter with a drive for continuous improvement of the business operations.
- Express willingness to step out of the box to assist other teams to meet and overcome challenges for the company.
This position is largely self-directed and requires understanding of company policy, procedures, and values. Team members will be required to adhere to all safety requirements in all work environments. This position operates in a field environment.
Specific requirements include:
- Ability to climb ladders up to heights of 300 plus feet
- Must not exceed 280 lbs. for safety of employee - PFPE requirement
- Work in confined spaces with diverse environmental conditions
- Ability to lift up to 80 lbs.
- Ability to travel for up to six (6) weeks at a time and ability to work overnight shifts/weekends
Job Type: Full-time ALL YEAR GUARANTEE
40 HRS GUARANTEED PER WEEK
Oscar Associates Limited (US) is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.