Manchester, Greater Manchester
£60000 - £75000 per annum
7 months ago
Java Technical Lead - grow your own team
"establish a new team in Manchester"
A nationally recognised E-Commerce brand are establishing a new software engineering function in Manchester city centre, and are looking for a Technical Lead to oversee the creation of the team, setting a culture and then having them develop new features for their high-traffic, transactional platform. Longer term, the team will scale as our client 'North-shores' software engineering to Manchester.
The Technical Lead, will be initially briefed with upscaling the team with a mixture of Java Software Engineers, Front End Developers and QA's, so will have a key role in defining the culture of the team, before providing leadership and technical oversight over their platform. Once the team is beginning to take shape, the work with initially focus on feature-driven improvements in the existing product. Longer term, the strategy of the business is to continue to migrate resources north to Manchester, which will also be supported with an offshore team in Bangalore who will provide out-of-hours hot fixes and support.
This role would suit someone with some experience of leading a team & mentoring techies, who is ideally looking to step-up into a full-time Technical Lead role OR someone that is already a Tech Lead, but wants more autonomy over establishing & leading their own team.
Scope to learn - our client are increasingly doing more with user data / big data so for technologists that have an interest in topics like Machine Learning, technology like Spark, Kafka & Hadoop and how this can all provide benefits & efficiencies across the business, then this offers that opportunity.
Scope to grow your career - they have a medium term plan to increase the size of the Manchester function so this position has the option of growing in the level of responsibilities so for people that have aspirations to go into leadership, this role is gateway opportunity to that path.
What do you have to bring?
- Previous experience of hiring into Software Engineering teams & providing leadership other members of a Software Engineering team
- Excellent technical skills with a scaled & complex Java-based technology stack.
- Experience of Spring Boot & Spring
- Experience of AWS and associated services
- A deep understanding of CI & CD
- A huge advocate of code quality principles, with a track record of getting teams engaged with this
- Experience of performant and highly-transactional web / e-commerce platforms, with strong appreciation of the customer journey
- Experience working with multi-located teams would be a huge plus.
Oscar Technology is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.