City of London, London
£30000 - £35000 per annum + 15% bonus, Bupa, Life
2 months ago
Junior Java Engineer (Data Solutions) - 1+ years experience
A leading Data & Analytics consultancy are looking for a Java-based Engineer with a passion for both programming & data to join their growing team in Central London. The position will grow into a much more rounded Data Engineer position where you will working with Java to improve the efficiency of processes, Solr or Kafka for Data Stores and SQL queries. There will be lots of training available to upskill you on tech like Python, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes and Openshift.
Your background can either be as a Java-based software developer / engineer or in Data Engineering. You will have experience of programming in Java and at least one of the SQL dialects, preferably Oracle. More than anything you will have a desire to learn and a genuine interest in both programming and data.
You would start on the team responsible for updating and maintaining their data replication and standardisation tooling. You will be improving how they monitor, maintain and deploy both these and the accompanying APIs.
- Use Java to create or improve the efficiency of processes or services
- Writing and maintaining automated test suites
- Writing SQL queries on multiple multi-million row tables quickly and efficiently
- Engage with internal client teams and project stakeholders to provide advice on how to best use services
- Take ownership of feature development and ongoing maintenance
- Provide guidance and support to other developers encouraging best practice. Introduce new concepts and ways of working.
- Understand and participate in performance management processes
- Continuously improve knowledge of chosen field or programming language and suggest new and improved solutions to old challenges
What they are looking for?
They are looking for self-starters who are able to take on a project and run with it, or research and track down particularly knotty problems. Applicants are someone who is:
- Able to talk about technology to non-technical people
- Logical and analytical
- Passionate about programming with a genuine interest in data
- Excellent attention to detail, problem solving skills and a flexible attitude to your work
- Competent in Java and SQL
It'd be nice if you have Batch/shell experience, knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL and/or Python or have previously worked with Kafka/used Docker, Kubernetes or Openshift, but these are not essential and training will be provided.
Oscar Technology Limited is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.