£68000 - £80000 per annum + Meaningful stock options
19 days ago
'Polyglot' Software Engineer - Relocation package available
Following continued growth, one of Oxfordshire leading employers are expanding their UK Software Engineering function and are looking for some seriously talented individuals! If you back yourself as a dab hand with Java but want to dip into your arsenal of other programming & scripting languages (some may refer to you as a 'Polyglot Programmer'), and cannot abide a commute into London, then you really have to get all over this job.
What can they offer you
- Covering those bills; They provide an excellent salary which is above average for the area, but this is supplemented with a benefits package that includes stock options (in a NASDAQ listed firm, not a pie-in-sky offering that gets watered down over time) and annual an bonus.
- Stability, because job hunting is a chore - the business has grown year-on-year and they are growing UK headcount significantly in 2019.
- Stimulating work. They offer a very challenging technical environment. You work with complex problems, alongside with a highly skilled Engineering team - think coming up with algorithms when a design pattern is not the answer. The challenges range but if you like thinking about how to make highly scaled web applications fast or want to get stuck into a Machine Learning powered data platform, then this place is for you.
- The provide lots of progression - you get feedback regularly, with a clear structure to progress from within. Most UK leadership positions have been filled from within the business and as the Engineering team continues to grow, more opportunities will be created. If you just want to code to your hearts content then, that's cool too.
- They is huge learning potential as well. You have access to training budgets and online subscriptions, awesome peers to learn from, lots of 'brown bag' sessions to share ideas and chances to work in overseas offices to work with your global colleagues and learn from them too.
The tech stack & culture
The stack is heavily based on Java 8 & Spring Boot Microservices deployed onto AWS, with Python used in AWS and you'll work with TypeScript and React.js on the front end. People tend to work full stack and are very much part of each stage in the engineering life cycle. But loads of other stuff gets used here - PHP, C#, Kotlin spring to mind, but with the amount of autonomy there is, you can bring stuff to the table (people who want to do more with Go….I'm looking at you)
You are part of design (there isn't an Ivory Tower with Architects spewing out 'blue sky thinking'), you code (obvs!!) and work with the QA & DevOps folks to automate as much as you can.
There is as little red tape there as possible so that the team can release several times a day (except Friday…just because) and much like places such as Google, the thought-process revolves around 'speed-wins' but without compromising on code-quality.
Sounds good, so what do they want from me?
- Experience of working with Java SE 8+
- Experience of working across several programming & scripting languages
- Comfortable with algorithms, data structures & tables
- Can debate the merits of different programming paradigms & architectural concepts
- Have worked with highly scaled & complex web applcations
- Experience with some form of Cloud platform like AWS, GCP, PWS or Azure
- You'll have a STEM based academic background with a Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mathematics or Physics but;
- If your actual knowledge & experience trumps you academic knowledge, then that's even better
Oscar Technology is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.