Up to £52000 per annum + 20% Pension, flexi hours & remote working
8 months ago
Technical Lead - Java / AWS
An incredibly unique employer are looking to add a Java Technical Lead to their technology function, to lead a cross-functional software engineering team. The role itself will be leading the development of incoming generating online data & reporting platforms, internally facing platforms but also leading on the Research & Development of new technology that can find business efficiencies, develop new revenue streams or provide a digital solutions to a previously analogue problems!
Their technology stack has evolved in recent years to embrace the open-source movement, so lots of Java EE, Spring Boot, Microservices, deployed onto a mixture of AWS and SQL-based RDBMS. They've only recently started to start transitioning away from on-premise based data storage, so over the next 18 months, they will be adopting more and more AWS services and reducing the use of Oracle databases. Their platforms provide a number of RESTful API's for 3rd parties to consume and their data is a revenue generating commodity that provides a significant amount of their annual income. As part of their evolution, they have embraced Agile delivery practices, XP engineering methods like DDD and TDD, and they are very much a Continuous Improvement culture.
Why is this unique then?
It's a non-profit organisation so you are not working on platforms that ultimately generate revenues for institutional investors or egotistical billionaires, but rather platforms that provide public & social benefits. The nature of our clients organisation and day-to-day workings, mean they operate in a very unique space, where technology has brought major efficiencies, but there is so much more scope to disrupt.
They've only introduced AWS and OpenShift this year, so for people that are hoping to pickup more skills in cloud services, this presents a great chance to do so. It also gives people with AWS to impart their wisdom on others.
Sounds good, what will I be doing then?
- By-and-large, you will be providing a technical authority to the team, leading design and being the go-to person for technical challenges
- Providing a benchmark for code quality, through driving engineering best practice
- A little bit of business facing / stakeholder work
What do I need to bring to the table?
- Ideally you will have worked as a Technical Lead, Lead Engineer or a hand-on Technical Architect before, however if you are a Senior Software Engineer looking to make that step up, you can do that here.
- Really solid experience of developing scalable, well tested Java code, using frameworks like Spring Boot.
- A really good understanding of Service Orientated Architectures including SOAP & REST, Messaging (JMS, MQ)
- Significant understand of Microservice architectures (DDD, integration patterns, etc)
- Knowledge AWS and AWS services is advantageous
- Any experience with Openshift, Kubernetes is a massive plus
Unique benefits / value propositions
Excellent pension - 20% employer contribution
Flexible working arrangements including working from home
Flexible core hours
Very unique and interesting challenges
Oscar Technology is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.